Feb 28, 2009

disgruntled

Sometimes the difference in "common" language usage between generations just blows me away. I have always believed that there are some situations where the use of particular words is not such a great idea. And don't give me the arguement that we as a society have become desensitized to the impact of those words because that is not neccesarily a good thing.

Last night I heard two 18 year old girls call each other "whores" and laugh, like some of us in my generation use "bitches". Neither is a very nice thing to call your friend - however - calling a friend of mine a whore is flatly untenable. Yet another of their friends tagged one of them in some south park pic as "Herpes Ho" and that incensed them, but they thought it would have been funny if it was someone else who was tagged with it??? Talk about multi layered standards. Or maybe it's just a lack of standards whatsoever. Or maybe it's just my yearning for civilized conversation without all the negative conotations.

The longer I spent in their company the more aghast I became at their language. Such filth being declaimed by such beauty and yet they kiss their mothers with those mouths. I even went so far as to ask them why, and got naught but splutters and mumbles as a reply.

George Carlin, who espoused the belief that there are no bad words, only bad interpretations, would be calling me a hypocrite I'm sure - and he's tops on my list of present day philosophers. I'm sorry George, but on my WORST day the language they are using is on just about anybody's list and they KNOW it. It isn't for shock value or even as an expletive, it has become part of their common launguage. I detest it.

No comments:

Post a Comment