Mar 19, 2009

catch up:

My son is 26 today and yet I don't really feel much older than when I had him. More experienced and more physically descrepit, but not really "older". I find that I still want to sing happy birthday and have him blow out the candles, but now instead of black forest cake from Safeway, he wants home made not from the box black forest cake with real kirsch and cherries. Not happening, not this week.

Mama got a little carried away and thristday became thirstweekend and then some ;) I got the date for Mikey's buyout wrong, but I was already at the pub and the crew were there, and I didn't have to work the next day, so all of these lovely little rationalizations were just sitting on the shelf waiting for me to dust them off, which I did. Got home quite late, made Deb laugh and then thrust my drunken but ever so happy personage into Deb's room to harass my friend Peter whom had just gotten back from Cuba. Apparently I was in fine form.

I had convinced myself Friday morning that I was not going to grace the pub with my presence that evening, and then I started feeling guilty because I'd missed the last few outings with that crew - I am a member of several disparate groups of friends with different interests - and I had promised Mikey I'd be there, so I got my running around done early and decided to go for just a few.

HAHAHAHAHA! I am the empress of self delusion I tell you. A few my ass. On a Fraturday, with 3 groups of my friends at the pub and the fivers just jumping out of my pocket. I was rollin' and then Niall finished any chance at all of me getting home early by introducing this dark and delicious new brew, Cobblestone, which is - may the brewer's above strike me down if it isn't so - better in the short run than Guinness. In fact it is very much like Guinness but it has an aroma that you can just sit and absorb for minutes at a time, until it draws your lips to the edge of the glass for another swallow. Dark dekicious stout with a hint of coffee, or chocolatey something ... damn but it's good. Suffice to say I had several.

Saturday was ladies night so it was fun in the kitchen with dk & Deb while we prepared the feast for the ladies. Just shy of a dozen of us filled my place with love, laughter, and the sarcasm that only erupts when it is a testosterone free zone. We are hilarious.

I took Sunday off. Even the goddess needs to rest ... and do laundry.

Monday was brother Ryan's bday, with libations for all, and Tuesday was St. Paddy's - the annual come as you crawl event at an Irish pub. While I didn't get there until 3:30 (some of my friends were there before noon and had I not been working I would have been too) Katie still had some Guinness Chocolate cake with Bailey's icing left, and we didn't get locked out while we were smoking until after 7 (but Robert let us in through the kitchen). THere were so many of my friends there that it was like Romper Room through the bottom of a Guinness Glass. Ahhhh - spring is in the air and everybody wanted to play. And the Dman was playing and Mr. Bighead was welcomed with open arms and by then a few empty minds!!! We danced and laughed and sand and cheers each other hoarse.

It was fucking glorious!

2 comments:

  1. kids make us feel old. Mine are 35 and 33. They still act like teenagers, especially when they are together, and I feel like chit LOL

    ReplyDelete